Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Packing

19 days left to go before my departure and I can't believe it! Where is the time going?! I still have so much stuff to do... I have recently been compiling stuff to take with me. I've noticed that the everyday things you use (or weekly, I guess) are the hardest to remember, such as nail clippers, Q-tips, etc.

Here is my packing list (as provided by my program):

Clothing:
~1 nice outfit (for festive events, farewell family dinner)
~4-5 pair more casual pants (capris may also be brought)
~1 or 2 pairs of jeans
~2 or 3 skirts
~5-7 blouses or shirts
~1 light sweater
~2 week supply of underwear
~one week supply of socks
~sleepwear not revealing and covering legs to knees
~1 'workout' outfit
~1 pair comfortable, everyday shoes which are decent and good for walking
~1 pair of sandals for outdoors
~1 pair of flip-flops for the house
~1 pair of sneakers
~all-purpose jacket
~light raincoat
~1 swimsuit

Travel Documents:
~Passport
~tickets
~yellow WHO immunization card
~money belt large enough for passport
~photocopy of passport

Health Items:
~prescriptions meds
~over the counter meds, such as Advil, decongestant, laxative, Imodium, Pepto Bismol, etc
~thermometer
~small First Aid kit
~sunscreen (don't worry, I already have 3 bottles packed)
~bandaids
~bug spray

Toiletries:
~deodorant
~feminine products
~soap and shampoo
~bath towel and beach towel
~hand sanitizer

Other:
~alarm clock
~locks for luggage
~bookbag
~ipod
~pocket sewing kit
~sunglasses
~hat
~camera
~flashlight
~extra batteries
~Homestay gift

So as you can see, I have a LOT that I need to bring. As I was typing the list, I was feeling a bit stressed out, but when I really think about it, I don't need to worry as much. Some of the mentioned things are things I don't intend on bringing, for example, a sewing kit. If I need to sew something, I will find stuff there. And I don't wear hats unless I'm at a band function. And I won't bring extra bandaids if I already have some. And I have a lot of stuff packed/laying by my suitcase, so I'm doing ok.

As for a homestay gift, I already bought the family a mug from the Maryland Science Center (my workplace) with pictures of Albert Einstein and a quote of his in English. I also intend to buy a few bags of candy and possibly some magnets from Washington DC. Since I do not know anything about my family, I cannot get individual presents, so I'm just sticking to generic things that everyone can enjoy.

You may have noticed how specific my packing list is in terms of clothing. For those of you that don't know, Morocco is a fairly liberal Arabic nation, so I will see people dressed like "westerners" and I will also see people dressed in traditional Islamic garments. I was worried for a long time that I would only be allowed to wear pants and floor-length skirts, but I was so relieved to find out that I can wear capris! I generally wear capris in the summer because shorts just aren't that comfortable.

On a side note, my Facebook profile picture is of me in Epcot Morocco in 2008. I picked it out especially for my upcoming summer. InshaAllah, the next time I change my profile picture, it will be of me in real-life Morocco :-)

2 comments:

  1. AHH! I am so excited for you, this is Ellen, btw. Your blog looks beautiful! I am sure you will have an amazing time, good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks ellen! i'm so excited! :-)

    ReplyDelete