Sunday, June 12, 2011

My family

On Friday, I met my family. I have a mom, Khadija, a dad, Abdelilah, 2 sisters, Zineb, 21, and Aya, 6, and a brother, Mohamed, 24. They are all very nice! Zineb studies law at University Mohamed V in Rabat, Mama Khadija is a nurse, and Baba Abdelilah works in journalism. Zineb speaks English, as does Baba Abdelilah. In general, the family speaks Moroccan Arabic (Darija) but they speak French with me. Aya is very cute. She was so shy the first day and wouldn't talk much to me, but now she talks to me all the time. She really likes Dora the Explorer and Snow White. :-)

Yesterday, we went to the circus. It was neat!


 

The house I live in is beautiful! Everything is tiled! There is a central indoor "courtyard" (so to speak) and there are four rooms around the courtyard. There is the main door, which leads to the toilet (not the bathroom, because there is no bath). There is another area split into 2. Behind the curtain is Mohamed's room and then a small door leads to the girls' room, which I share with my sisters. Then there is my parents' room, and then the kitchen. Through the kitchen is a sink for handwashing and for brushing teeth, and to the right is the shower. It is not a shower like you'd find in the United States. There is a faucet and a shower head that I use to fill a large bucket. I then turn off the faucet and use the water in the bucket to wash. I dump water over my head and body with a smaller cup. I really like showering like that because it's different and it does not waste much water. In order to shower, we have to turn on the gas. Hot water is ONLY used for showering because it is too expensive otherwise.

I was able to send an email to my parents from Zineb's computer in her room. She has a wired internet connection, but I am at a cyber café today to do homework, send emails, and write on my blog!

Today was the first day I ventured the streets of Rabat alone. It was a little bit stressful, but I walked with a purpose. I was heckled a lot more. It doesn't make me nervous anymore to get heckled because it is normal, in fact, it boosts my ego a bit because hecklers think the hecklees are pretty :-). One guy helped me find the internet cafe today because I went a little too far down the street. I was about to go into a shop and ask where the cafe was right as he turned the corner. He spoke French to me and asked if I was looking for something, so I just asked. He was nice, but I was still nervous. Luckily, I was on an open, visible street with some people, so I was still safe. When he showed me where it was, he asked me for my number. I told him I didn't have a phone, but then he was going to give me his. I said no thanks, but thanks for the help and went to the cafe. It was flattering, yes, but I am not about to give any information of my whereabouts.

Yeah, I DEFINITELY stick out. I notice people looking at me. Although I was told that there are pale, blonde-haired, blue-eyed Arabs, I have yet to see one. I CLEARLY do not look the part. Although I dress modestly and appropriately, I'm Irish and I look it. In fact, a lot of people think I'm French because they automatically speak French to me. The good thing is, I have a strong head on my shoulders, I walk with a purpose, and soon, despite my looks, I will fit in quite well.

Tomorrow, I begin my classes. I have Arabic for 4 hours in the morning, then Moroccan Culture Seminar in the late afternoon for about 1.5-2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment